4.23.2013

SWEET SPRING PLANTINGS

I thought it would be fun to share a few spring plant combinations over the next three posts.



Three things inspired me:

SIMPLICITY: Sometimes we struggle with pairing plants, so I wanted to take a step back and just focus on three plants in each combination.

TASTY TREATS: It's so much fun picking a theme to narrow down plant choices.  There are many plants with delectable names, so why not try some?

AJUGA: This is a common, yet still fabulous groundcover.  It's easy to find, performs well in shade and sun, plus looks great with many other plants.  I chose a different ajuga for each of my three designs, then allowed that plant to direct the choice of its companions.


This planting is for full sun or part-shade in zones 4 and 5.  The plants in this design include:

Ajuga reptans 'Valfredda' / Chocolate Chip Bugleweed
Sedum rupestre 'Angelina'/ Stonecrop
Geum 'Totally Tangerine' / Avens

What I like most about this combination:
  • The striking color contrast between the purplish/green ajuga and the chartreuse sedum.
  • The contrast of leaf textures...coarse geum leaves, medium ajuga leaves, and the fine sedum leaves.
  • The pop of orange from the geum flowers (this plant always pops!).
For those wanting to learn more about plants on your own adventures...sign up for my NEWSLETTER to receive a free garden journaling sheet.

No comments: